Monday, September 19, 2011

What I Learned Today

It has been sooooo long since I have posted on my blog. My summer has been filled with busyness, it all seems like it has gone by with a blur. Kind of like the Road Runner in the old cartoon. I don't even remember everything that we did this year. I sincerely hope my fall slows down some.
I wanted to share a passage in this book with you that I am reading "Tea Time With God". I hope some of you will be able to relate as well.
"Our society is obsessed with time. We try to stay "on schedule" and "be on time." On holidays, days off from work, and on vacations, we want to "make the most of time." Our usual lament is that there is just " not enough time."
There are two Greek words for the English word time. Chronos, where we get the word chronology, refers to measured time - the time on a clock, the days, weeks, and months of a calendar. Kairos , however, means purposeful time, time which God has filled with meaning, the "right" time.
We have all experienced "kairos" moments - times when everything came together, times when it was "right" to make an important call or write a crucial letter, apply for a particular job, or have a decisive talk with a friend or spouse. These are moments when we gain insight or renewed perspective, see the bigger picture, and discern God's hand is bringing together the fragments of our life.
How do the ticking moments of the clock become filled with a sense of God's time? To turn chronos time into kairos time we need to "take time off" for reflection and quiet. Our resting is not passive inactivity, but an intentional commitment to pay attention to God in all the times of our life."
Walk in wisdom . . . redeeming the time.
Colossians 4:5

6 comments:

Vintage Home said...

Its about time I did just that. Thanks Pam for point the way for me....sad I need to be reminded!...Thanks for sharing.

Sandi said...

Lovely post today Pamela. I used to have that book...wonder if I still do. Will have to check my library. :)
Blessings~

Anonymous said...

GLAD YOUR BACK, I HAVE MISSED YOU!!!
THAT POST IS A KEEPER. I LOVE THE NAME
"TEA WITH GOD" THIS IS MY DAY FOR MEANIFUL INSPIRATION. I FOUND THE BOOK & WEB SITE FOR
LIFE: BEAUTIFUL. IT WAS A MAGAZINE YOU INTODUCED ME TO. I AM GOING TO SUBSCRIBE TO IT. IT ALSO HAS LOTS OF GOOD FAITH READING...
HUGS
DONA

Vintage Home said...

Pam...did you make it to the Market?...was hoping to see you...did I miss you??

June said...

Yes Pamela, it is so true that we need to make our time count and that time pondering our life and taking the opportunity to reflect is 'time' well spent.
beautiful post.
hugs from here...

Ana said...

Lovely post Pamela. Very good advise. Time is precious and it should be spent with purpose. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful fall day my dear friend.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin